James A. Helman's ~ 1906
Pages 61 - 70
Bowden appears the first on the list. His house was where J. Agnew
lives. Seventy-five years ago he removed to Waynesboro. Spoons of his
manufacture are still in possession of some families. Mr. Andrew Hyster
came here about that time, continuing until his death, 1872. Since, his
son, Geo. T. Eyster, has continued. Others have dropped in with a small
stock of jewelry; the lack of patronage prevented their permanent stay,
therefore Mr. Eyster remains at the old stand.
Property Holders, 1808
John Armstrong, gunsmith; Joseph Hagan, Dr. Robert Annan, Andrew
White, John Buchanan, James Reed, John Hughs, merchant; James Hughs,
merchant; Michael Wicks, Wm. McKinley; Wm. Long, saddler; Peter Horniker,
farmer; George Smith, merchant; Peter Troxell, architect; Henry
Fahnestock, Abraham Welty, hatter; Samuel Noble, Jacob Frenkle.
blacksmith; Joseph Bruchey, tinner; Jacob Winters. flour store; George
Boner, tavern; Geo. Winter, wheelwright; Lewis Motter, tanner; Patrick
Reid, Jacob Troxell, hatter; John Troxell, miller; Jacob Danner, tailor;
Richard Wills, Thomas Slothour, John Westfall, Wm. Hunter, Jacob Cress,
Michael Oyster, tanner; Jacob Oyster, tanner; Henry Dishom, wheelwright;
Henry Need, George Fouk, John Young, magistrate; Michael Sponseller,
tanner; Philip Nunemaker, hardware store; Fredk. Gelwick, brewery; Peter
Weikard, James Crocket, Jacob Harp; Peter Nack, John Trux, Thos. Carson,
John Noel, Patrick Bradley, shoemaker; Lewis Crouse, Abraham J. Emmit,
John Trenkle, blacksmith; John Row, cabinet maker; John M. Hoffe, John
Huston, magistrate; Wm. Mittingly, Jacob Hughs, Lewis Weaver, chair
maker; Jonathan Hazelet, miller.
Residents of Town in 1840 Fire Company
The corporation required every man to become a member of the fire
company; all were enrolled one Saturday in the month during the summer.
The engine was brought cut; the street pump was the place of meeting;
the clerk would mount the engine and call the names of the fire company,
each man answering to his name. If any were absent there was a fine
imposed. The engine was inspected and tried by pumping water from the
well, then returned to the engine house. This meeting was at 2 o'clock;
all was over in an hour.
Michael Sponceller, Abraham Sponceller, James Hutten, Mathias
Gelwicks, Henry Gelwicks, Simon Mentzer, Francis Lytle, George W.
Martin, Jeremiah Martin, Mathias Martin, Jacob Harner, John Zimmerman,
Isaiah Zimmerman, John Zimmerman, George Sheets, Jacob Sheets, James
Mooney, Zach. Jodun, John Hammit, William Patterson, Jefferson Shields,
George M. Grover, Johnzee Hooker, Samuel Frantz, Joseph Cunningham,
Jeremiah Knoler, Lawrence Dwen, John Barry, George Johnston, James Gribble, Michael Wise, Augustus Taney, James Storrn, William Eckenrode,
Benedict Chivel, Abraham Welty, John Fisher, William Martin, Thos. Hays,
John Doats, Ruben Baker, Oliver 0. McLain, Jacob Motter, John Nickum,
Joseph Beachey, Thomas Reed, Joshua Motter, Adam Epley, Patrick Kelly,
M. C. Adelsberger, Eli Smith, Joseph Moritz, Joshua Row, James Welty,
Joshua Troxell, J. J. McCardy, Henry Winter, Lewis Motter, Jeremiah
Pittenger, Joachim Elder, William Otter, Isaac Baugher, Robert Crooks,
Arthur McGinnis, Joshua Shorb, William Mc- Bride, Upton Koontz, Jacob
Duphorn, John Dailey, Jacob S. Gelwicks, Peter Remby, William Waters,
John McCullough, Lewis Wolf, Joseph Danner, Peter Sebold, Andrew Fowler,
Charles Donnelly. William Worley, John Snotiffer, James D. McDonnel,
Blackford Campbell, Henry Wills, Daniel Welty, John Duphorn, James
Welty, George Smith, John Agnew, John G. Bader, George Row, Moses Perry,
H. Munshower, Andrew Eyster, Michael Helman, Conrad Russelmyer, Thos.
Caldwell, Francis Magraw, William Motter, James Knauff, John Hoover,
Cornelius Lot, John Kelienberger, David Hiteshew, Joseph Little,
Benjamin Webb, James L. Wise, John Hughs, S. A. Adelsberger, Joseph
Snouffer, Joseph Hughs, John Hoover, John Fisher, Jacob Sholckey, George
Troxell, Henry Rickenbaugh, Jeremiah Black, William Row, Andrew Annan,
Philip Hardman, Dennis McFadden, James Row, Samuel Baumgardner, Joseph
Row, John Favourite, James Hosplehorn, Solomon Day, James Maguire,
George Winter, William Frizzle, Samuel Favourite, William B. Pittenger,
Thomas Welsh, Lewis Coppersmith, Jacob Feaser, John Yerk, John Miller,
John Martin, James Bowie, Henry Little, William Tyson, Andrew Welty,
Samuel Flautt, Joseph Long, Jacob Snouffer, James Curran, Ezekial White,
Isaac E. Pearson. At this writing but two are living of the 141
Property Holders 1850 to 1860
Dr. J. W. Eichelberger, Peter Honiker, Jane Morrison, Jas. F.
Adelsberger, Mrs. Fred Row, Mrs. Bradley, Mrs. George Smith, Hugh
Dailey, Frederick A. Row, Rev. Robert Grier, John Dailey, James, A.
Elder, Frederick Troxell, James Hughs, John Barry, Presbyterian church,
Jacob Sheets, James A. Doven, Mary Knox, Dennis Smith, Dr. Augustus
Taney, Stephen Adams, Jacob S. Gelwicks, James Storm, Joseph Row,
Catharine Biggs, Abraham Welty, Barbara Bader, Peter Remley, John
Nickem estate, George Mentzer, Andrew Welty, Joshua Shorb, Joshua
Motter, Mrs. Arnold, Philip Hardman, James Hospleborn, Dr. Wm.
Patterson, David Agnew, Andrew Eyster, Joseph Long, Samuel Motter,
Patrick Kelley, Daniel Getter, Mrs. N. Snider, Henry Winter, Mrs. Boyle,
Wm. Ulrich, Michael Helman, Major Mooney, Mrs. Harniange, George Winter,
Isaac E. Pearom, Wm. Pepple, Priests' House, Mrs. Diffendal, Jeremiah
Pittenger, John Zimmerman, Mrs. Sheeler Stuart, Joachim Elder, Jacob
Harner, Jones and Hardman, F. X. Deckelmyer, John Hoover, Isaac E. Pearson, Mrs. Agnew's hotel, Jane Hutton, Reformed Parsonage, James W.
Baugher, Washington Martin, Joseph Moritz, Jesse W. Nusser, Simon
Mentzer, Joshua Troxell, Samuel Morrison, Fredk. Gelwicks, Adam Guthrie,
Martin Whitmer, Michael Sponseller, Jacob Motter, John Miller, Joseph
Snouffer, Mrs. Black's tavern, Joseph Beachey, Francis Smith, Dr. Andrew
Annan, Ed. McBride, Ruben Baker, Mrs. Josey Danner, Wm. Hilechen, John
Favourite, Lewis M. Motter.
Property Owners 1906
Meade Patterson, Charles Gillelan, Cameron Ohler; Beecher Ohler,
Annie Shriver, Morris Gillelan, Robert Patterson, Mrs. Margaret Arnold,
Mrs. George L. Gillelan, John Reifsnider, John Glass, John Harting, Mary
McCallion, James Mullen, Mullen, Mrs. John Neck, John Elour heirs, John
Hopp, Charles McCarron, Tyson Lansinger, Peter Sebold, Mrs. Martin, John
Hosplehorn, George M. Morrison, John F. Topper, Hanriah, Gillelan,
George P. Beam, Mrs. Isaac Hyder, Harry Harnier, Dr. J. W. Eichelberger,
Vincent Sebold, J. A. Elder, Eugene E. Zimmerman, Isaac S. Annan, Mrs.
J. Welty, J. H. Row, Sterling Galt, Presbyterian parsonage, Lewis M.
Motter, Michael Hoke, Susan Winter, J. A. Helman, S. N. McNair, Mrs. R.
Winter, George T. Eyster, John T. Gelwicks, Samuel Eyster, Louisa and
Hallie Motter, Henry Stokes, Mrs. E. R. Zimmerman, Methodist Episcopal
Church, Charles F. Row, Mrs. Jacob L. Hoke, Peter Hoke heirs, Albert
Patterson, F. A. Maxell, Presbyterian Church, James T. Hays, Nathaniel
Row, Mrs. John Agnew, Laura Smith and sisters, E. H. Row, Mrs. Thomas
Bushman, Mrs. Frederick Hardman, Francis A. Kritz, Mrs. James Mitchell,
Emmit House, John Sifert, Charles Rotering, Mrs. F. Welty, T. C.
Wachter, Frank Stoner, Oscar Fraley, David Hill, Lewis Zimmerman, Hettie
Parker, P. G. King, George Kugler, George T. Fraley, E. L. Annan, E.
S. Waddle, Joseph Caldwell, Charles Landers, James Hosplehorn, Mrs. S. N.
McNair, A. Harner, A. A. Annan, M. F. Shuff, Mrs. 0. A. Horner, V. E.
Row, M. F. Row, William Warner, L. Overholtzer, Reformed parsonage, Mrs.
F. Lambert, William Morrison, Pius Felix, C. T. Zacharias, Dr. E. Stone,
Mrs. John Barry, Annan, Horner & Co., Dr. R. L. Annan, E. L. Row,
Edward Cristimer, Q. E. Shoemaker, Charles Rosensteel, Mrs. Jacob
Gillelan, Theopholis Getwicks, Edward Miller, James Baker, John Slagle,
Philip Snouffer, John L. Long, Mrs. Troxell, James Riffle, Mary Wallace,
Louisa Constant, William C. Colliflower, Reformed Church, Lutheran
parsonage, Philip Lawrence, Charles Zeck, William Spalding, Julia
Wordsworth, William Lansinger, George Gelwicks, Neal Buckingham, John
Mentzer, Mahlon Whitmore, William Daywolt, Conrad Sifert, W. F.
Zurgable, W. B.
Ashbaugh, Bennet Elder, Mrs. Anthony, Nicholas Baker,
Daniel Stouter, Albert Bowling, Enoch Frizzell, Ed. Payne, Mrs. F. A.
Adelsberger, Mrs. Pampel, Dr. C. D. Eichelberger, Charles Kretzer,
Joshua Norris, Mrs. W. G. Blair, Cornelius Gelwicks, John Jackson, Mrs.
Sponseller, Mrs. Harbaugh, Albert Adelsberger, Annie Riley, Priests
house, Ed. Hummerick, Mrs. Keim, Mrs. Cook, John Dukehart, Ann Brown,
Item. - More than seventy years ago John Nicknin was passing through
his lot one moonlight night and was attacked by a vicious dog of his
neighbor, John Fisher; he backed further and further until he found a
club with which he killed the dog; he put the dog across his shoulders
holding it astride his neck, holding the feet on each side to carry it
to the run, as he did not wish it known. When he arrived at the Lutheran
church a black man came up the lane; when he saw this object he ran at
breakneck speed. Next morning the Negro reported he had seen the devil,
describing it; the town was excited over this episode until Nicknin told
the whole story.
Corporations of Emmitsburg
There is no doubt when the town was laid out in lots; the citizens
lived in peace; the rustic age did not require the corporate laws that
the later and more expansive age did.
In 1808 the plat of the town made by Andrew Smith gives three
trustees as the governing body: Frederick Gel- wicks, Lewis Motter and
Samuel Noble. This mode of government continued until the first charter
was obtained in the year 1825, when a burgess was elected and a new
system inaugurate. The oldest record from which information is
obtainable is 1840 and years following. A second Act passed by the
Maryland Assembly, 11843, gave powers not included in former Act. The
burgess' books prior to 184o are not to be found, hence all is a blank
Commissioners, 1840 Joseph Welty, Henry Rickenbaugh, John Zimmerman,
Jeremiah Pittenger, Zacharias Jodun, Wm. Mooney.
- 1841, Burgess-W. B. Pittenger; Commissioners, Henry Rickenbaugh,
James Storm, Joseph Welty, Fredk. Gelwicks, John Zimmerman, Joshua
- 1842, Burgess - John Zimmerman; Commissioners, James Storm, Joshua
Shorb, Dr. Augustus Taney, Michael Helman, James Hosplehorn.
- 1843 - Burgess, John Zimmerman; Commissioners, Isaac Baugher,
George Sheets, Andrew Eyster, Joshua Shorb, John Miller, Dr. J. W.
- 1849, Burgess - I. E. Pearson; Commissioners, J. W. Baugher,
Joseph Moritz, Alfred Jones, Samuel Troxell, Wm. Mooney, John
- 1850, Burgess - Jacob S. Gelwicks; Commissioners, J. W. Baugher,
Isaac E. Pearson, Jacob Sheets, Wm. Mooney, Samuel Motter.
The clerk and treasurer was elected by commissioners outside the
body. Salary of burgess, $7; salary of clerk, $7; salary of collector of
Taxes, $10; constable, $10.
The following served as burgess; pages missing from old records
prevent complete list:
Wm. B. Pittenger, 1841; John Zimmerman, 1842, 1843; Isaac E. Pearson,
1847; Jacob S. Gelwicks, 1850; M. C. Adelsberger, 1854; Patrick Kelly,
1858, 1859: Andrew Eyster, 1860; D. G. Adelsberger, 1861, 1862; M.
Sweeney, 1863, 1864, 1865; Andrew Eyster, 1866; M. C. Adelsberger, 1867;
M. Sweeney, 1868, 1869, 1870 D. G. Adelsberger, 1871; Henry Stokes,
1872; Martin Sweeney, 1873; John F. Hopp, 1874; M. Sweeney, 1875; John
F. Hopp, 1876, 1877, 1878, 1879; J. H. T. Webb, 1880, 1881; Isaac Hyder,
1882, Henry Stokes, 1883; John G. Hess, 1884, 1885; Wm. G. Blair from
1886 to 1897; M. F. Shuff from 1897 to 1902; Philip Snouffer, 1902,
1903; E. L. Frizzell, 1904, 1905; M. F. Shuff, 1906.
The first board of commissioners elected after the new charter
November 7th, in 1854, were Patrick Kelly, Henry Stokes, Dr. J. W.
Richelberger, Richard Gilson, Fred. A. Row, Joshua Row and Charles
Shorb, that took a forward move in executing their official duties;
these men started a crusade against crime; men could be seen on the
street drunk, and committing conduct unbecoming a civilized town; the
public was powerless to stop it; now arrests were made, men fined
indiscriminately until the spirit of rowdy-ism was quelled; the burgess
was sustained by an honor. able body of commissioners; they inaugurated
a clean up club and fined the people who permitted a nuisance; the
streets received the first attention towards their present good
condition. The present board commissioners, J. Thomas Gelwicks, John S.
Long, Oscar D. Fraley, E. E. Zimmerman, James Mullen, John Dakehart.
Burgess, M. F. Shuff Lamplighter and constable, $250.00; burgess,
$15.00; clerk, $10.00; tax collector, $18.00.
As far back as 1777, in the deed made by Christian Keefer to Peter
Troxell, the names of Jacob Young and L. Botilas, are attached as
magistrates. John Huston and Henry Williams were magistrates in 1804.
Wm. Emmit before and after 1800. Patrick Owens later. Lewis Motter,
Major Wm. Mooney, Michael C. Adelsberger, Frank Hoover, James Knauff,
David Agnew, Andrew Eyster, Geo. W. Troxell, Martin Sweeney, Henry
Stokes, J. Thos. McBride, F. A. Maxell, M. F. Shuff, J. M. Kerrigan.
In the list of names of the first settlers of Emmitsburg, we find
Richard Baird, carpenter, who built the brick house now Presbyterian
parsonage. George Smith was a builder. In 1814 he erected the Lutheran
steeple. Peter Troxell, architect. In 1818 James Storm came to
Emmitsburg; he erected some of the buildings at St. Joseph's Convent.
James Taylor was a prominent builder; amongst the structures put up by
him was the Monocacy bridge on Baltimore road; Tehen, a Frederick
carpenter, built Clairvoux and the R. C. Church in town and some of the
College buildings. Joshua Shorb, Jeremiah Black, John Miller, Jacob
Rife, in their day, were the leading builders; after these Tyson &
Lansinger, Sebastian Florrence. William Row, Samuel Flautt, Ed. Baker,
George Springer, E. Florrence.
Item. - James Storm was a man of scientific mind, an architect of no
mean capacity; always a student, he gave his attention to the collection
of curiosities, Indian relics, shells, minerals; he bad a room shelved,
cased and nicely arranged for display; a valuable collection; at his
death it was sold and taken away; it should have remained as a nucleus
for a greater one for the town.
The first school master of the village was Thomas Cocklin. At the
beginning of the century, 1800, Martin Corcoran taught the large scholars
and Miss Corcoran the primary department; after a time Mr. Sanders, then
Mr. Malady and William Mullen came; establishing his mathematical
academy on Church street, the old people thought well of Mullen; next
came Isaac Burbank; he was an up- to-date teacher; some of the older
citizens were pupils, and quote him yet; he married the daughter of
Jacob Troxell, the batter; opposition to the marriage caused them to run
away; they settled in Indiana, doing well; their daughter married
Governor Morton, afterward U. S. Senator Oliver P. Morton. James Knauff
and Robert Crooks taught the young ideas how to shoot if they were
severe. Oliver McLean, Derios Thomas, Pearson, Donnelly, Barrack, Fish,
Packard, Hill, Seabrooks, Kerrigan, Frazer and many more, good, bad and
indifferent, very few the children liked. Mrs. Reid taught a private
school. Miss Martha Moore was a teacher of note for children, she was an
expert in the primary. The teachers today in the public school are Lloyd
Palmer, principal; Miss Ruth Hoke and Miss Sallie Miller, assistants.
The first school house was at the intersection of the Gettysburg road
and alley dividing the priest's lot. On that vacant point all the
children back of 1820 attended there. A large brick house was erected,
on the lot where St. Euphemia school house stands. It was divided by a
partition, separating the male and female. Here up to about 188o the
public school for boys was conducted, prior to 1860 a good house for a
girls school was erected on the vacant lot between the Methodist
cemetery and Patterson's stable. The two school houses were torn down
and the house in which George Kugler lives erected out of the material;
after serving the purpose for a few years, the present building on the
pike was erected. About 1830 a brick school house was built on part of
the Lutheran Church lot. Here a select school was taught by competent
teachers, giving instructions not to be had in the public schools at
that time. When the, cemetery was enlarge it was torn down. Richard
Gilson taught a private school in a house standing where Dr.
Fichelberger's garden den is. Rev. G. W. Anghenbaugh and E. F. Higbee
taught a select school where the vacant lot of A. A. Annan is.
The St. Euphemia house was built to accommodate their increasing
school, which occupied the hall built by the Ro- man Catholics and town,
corner Gettysburg street and Green street.
All hauling from Baltimore to the west was done by teams, usually six
horses. This town was on the route to Pittsburgh, hundreds of teams
during the year passing east and west; an occasional team was decorated
with bells; these teams would travel in companies from a few to a dozen
or more, for protection and help, stopping at night at one of the many
taverns along the road. These taverns had large wagon yards to
accommodated these almost daily visitors; the teamster would select a
spot to stand his wagon, take the feeding trough from the rear of wagon,
fasten it to the tongue, and tie his horses on either side to feed and
rest through the night; no other accommodation regardless of rain, snow,
wind or heat; no blankets to cover in winter; this was a Wagoner's life.
The teamster carried his bed, unfolding them, they spread them on the
floor of the bar room and slept. As their teams approached the town it
was a common thing to see a crowd of boys run to the end of town to meet
them, and walk beside the teamster. It was an occupation every boy
intended to follow when he was a man. These wagons were loaded with
goods for the merchants out west; returning they brought flour, whiskey,
hides, dried fruit and many other articles. The millers in this locality
sent flour to Baltimore by teams belonging to the farmers, who in return
hauled goods for the merchants here. This was before railroads were
running; when the railroads were made it ceased, and the taverns closed
along the roads.
In the long past peddlers with horse and wagon and pack peddlers were
plentiful; the cheap license enabled a new Jew, for they alone followed
it, to make a good living, with a small amount invested. Some carried
packs, a burden for a horse. One of the early peddlers who frequented
these parts was Arnold Schiteling, a regular visitor, horse and wagon;
these men carried dry goods principally; the high license put an end to
This industry gave employment to a great number of hands; being near
the timber barrels were made here and shipped. All the flour was
barreled; whiskey made at the distilleries here and Frederick were
supplied with barrels from here. In 1812 John Young, afterwards Michael
C. Adelsberger, was the most extensive manufacturer; Henry Foller,
Joseph Felix, besides nearly every mill had a cooper shop attached to
Pages 71 - 80
Helmans' History Of Emmitsburg
to Previous Page >