Pages 31 - 40
Adam Bay, John Slemons, John Craighill,
Hezekiah Jas. Balch, Samuel Thompson and Robert Cooper among the
preachers. In October, 1771, a committee from Tom's Creek to settle a
dispute consisted of Wm. Blair, William Shields, Wm. Brown and Samuel Emmit, the founder of the town of Emmitsburg.
The ministers supplying the pulpits of
Tom's Creek and Piney Creek churches from 1761 to the present are: 1761,
Rev. Robt. McMordie, Rev. John Beard, Rev. Robt. Smith, Samuel Thompson,
Rev. W. Edmeston, Rev. John Slemons, Rev. Wm. Magaw; 1775 to 1779, Rev.
Hezekiah Balch; vacant, with occasional supplies, till 1782; 1783 to
1789, Rev. John McKnight; vacant from 1790 to 1791, supplies; 1792, to
1796, Rev. Wm. Paxton, D. D.; vacant from 1797 to 1800, supplies; 1800
to 1810, Rev. Patrick Davidson; vacant from 1811 to 1813, with supplies;
1814 to 1865, Rev. Robt. S. Grier; 1865 to 1873, Rev. Isaac M.
Patterson; 1873 to 1897, Rev. Wm. Simonton, D. D.; 1897 to 1905, Rev.
David H. Riddle, D. D.; 1905 to -, Rev. Kenneth M. Craig.
Here the congregation worshiped for
seventy-eight years, until 1839, when the church was torn down and rebuilt in Emmitsburg. During the pastorate of Rev. Isaac M. Patterson,
1869, the church was remodeled. Again in 1878 it was torn down and a new
gothic church costing $9,000 was built during the pastorate of Rev. Wm.
Simonton. This church was struck by lightning August 28th, 1902, and
entirely consumed. It was rebuilt and occupied for the first time in
1904, under the pastorate of Rev. David H. Riddle, and stands today
secure. The lot to build the church was bought from Miss Mary and
Margaret Knox April 20, 1839 - "Received April 20, 1839, of Andrew Annan,
one of the trustees of Toms' creek church, two hundred dollars, in full
for the purchase of a lot of ground in Shield's addition to Emmitsburg,
for the erection of the above-named church thereon."
During the pastorate of Rev. Isaac M.
Patterson, 1868, Taneytown was added to the charge consisting of
Emmitsburg, and Piney Creek, and continued as one charge, until 1879,
when Emmitsburg withdrew from the union, buying Taneytown and Piney
creek's interest in the parsonage, since which it has continued as the
Emmitsburg church. The new church is heated with hot water radiators,
lighted with acetylene lights, has a fine organ, and everything to make
the comers comfortable. A tablet has been erected to the former pastor,
Rev. Robert S. Grier, who served this charge for almost fifty-two years,
his only charge commencing in 1812 and continuing till 1865.
In 1870 the church of Emmitsburg and
Piney creek were detached from the presbytery of Carlisle and connected
with the presbytery of Baltimore.
The Presbyterians buried in this
cemetery are some of the oldest and most influential men that lived
during the formative period of the country. Following are some names
given, both marked and unmarked graves: Samuel Emmit; Maj. 0. A. Horner,
1841, 1897; William Emmit, 18l7; James C. Annan, 1837, 1894; Charles
Bigliam; Joseph Hays, 1828, 1888; William Stevenson; Thomas Hays, 1788,
1840; Robert Flemming, 1785, 1853; Rev. Andrew Hays, 1856, 1886; Capt.
William Blair; Hopkins Skiles, 1798, 1872; Capt. Henry Williams, 1743, 1820;
Mary Murdoch, 1755, 1810; Rev. Robert S. Grier, 1790, 1865; Margaret
Knox, 1773, 1842; James Crocket; Mary Knox, 1781, 1862; Samuel E. Annan,
1807, 1879; William Long; John Annan, 1803, 1897; Dr. Robert Annan,
1765, 1827; Robert Annan, 1793, 1866; William Cochran, 1693, 1771; Sarah
Cochran, 1702, 1785; William P. Gardner, 1822, 1900; John Stewart, 1778,
1866; William B. Morrison, 1818, 1890; William Murdoch, 1754, 1820;
David Morrison, 1774, 1846; Dr. Andrew Annan, 1805, 1896; Joseph Danner,
1796, 1840; Ann Murdoch, 1756, 1848; Mrs. Joseph Danner, 1798, 1894;
Josiah Emmit, 1765, 1821; Phineus Rogers, 1805, 1882; Abigail Emmit,
1764, 1838; Samuel McNair, 1809, 1875; William Porter, 1729, 1802;
Joseph Culbertson, 1814, 1881; John Porter, 1751, 1775; William Paxton,
1791, 1853; David Gamble, 1796, 1885; William Gamble, 1800, 1839; John
Witherow, 18o6, 1888; Alexander Horner, 1817, 1887; Maxwell Shields,
1806, 1859; David Agnew, 1822, 1888; Ross Hunter, 1837, 1879; William
Harley, 1807, 1897; Benjamin Cain, 1813, 1895; John Patterson, 1818,
1904; Ruben Flemming; John Farris, 1745, 1832; Robert Love, 1734, 1826;
Adam Guthrie, 1810, 1858; William Witherow, 1730, 1785; Nathaniel
Grayson, 1792, 1866; John Heugh, 1772, 1847; Daniel Jodun, 1770, 1834;
Daniel Jodun, 1770, 1834; Robert Munro, 1768, 1825; Jonathan Agey, 1747,
1804; Benjamin Ogle, captain, 1760, 1822; Thomas McKee, 1755, 1843;
Andrew Horner, 1775, 1838; Matthew Patterson, 1771, 1851; James Moore,
1785, 1821; George Patterson, 1775, 1850; Elizabeth Woods, 1690, 1796;
Alexander Stewart, 1735, 1811.
The Hill Church, in Freedom township, Adams County, Pa., known as the United Presbyterian Church, figures somewhat in the history of Presbyterianism in this locality, as many of
this congregation allied themselves with the Emmitsburg Church in later
years. Its construction stone walls, brick paved isles, high pulpit,
high-back pews, and sounding board have given it the reputation of the
quaintest structure externally as well as internally in these parts.
It was organized in 1754. Rev.
Prondfit devoted his first four years in this county, till 1758, in
missionary work amongst these people. In 1763 Rev. Robert Annan was
called as pastor, June 8th, continuing until April 2nd, 1768. 1776, John
Murry of Seatland was ordained in April, remaining until 1784, when he
died. 1784, Rev. Alexander Dobbin until 1785, when the Hill Church
united with the Rock Creek Church. The charge was without a regular
pastor until 1814, when Rev. Charles McLean accepted a call, was
installed as pastor of Gettysburg and Hill Church, remaining until 1842.
1843, Rev. Mr. Purdy until 1849; 1852, Rev. D. T. Carnahan until 1854;
1854, Rev. John R. Warren until 1857; 1858, Rev. William McElwee, until
1861. The first church was built of logs in 1763; the stone church was
built 1792. A cemetery containing a few bodies, located on west side of
church, not marked. The cemetery used by the early settlers was the
Marsh creek cemetery, where the pioneers of that organization rest.
St. Anthony's Church
Between the Years 1778 and 1834 Wm.
Elder, Robert Owings and Joseph Livers, companions, came from St. ,
Mary's County, Md., and settled in Frederick County. Mr. Elder and three
friends made up the first Catholic congregation in this neighborhood,
and until 1741 were visited by the Jesuits from the eastern part of the
State. In that year Conewingo mission in Pennsylvania was established by
Father Wapler, S. J. For eight years the members of this settlement were
under his spiritual charge; as his pastoral visits were somewhat
irregular, the settlers had frequently to go to Conawigo to attend
Rev. Father Neale succeeded Father
Wapler, but died after a few years in the mission. In 1753 Rev. Father
Manners took charge of Conawigo, and continued. until after the French
and Indian war. In which these settlers took an active part, as this
portion of Maryland was some time the scene of Indian depredations.
After a custom which had its rise in the exigencies of the times,
succeeding the Revolution of 1689, the
Catholics had even in this settlement built for themselves a chapel,
connected with the Elder homestead, where the various religious
functions were exercised when the priest happened to come on his
visitation. This charge was the cradle of what is now the congregation
of St. Anthony of Padua, and the new church will supply the service
which the ancient chapel gave till 1806. Though it did not become ruined
After the French and Indian war, when
quiet was again restored, emigrants from the eastern counties of
Maryland, from Pennsylvania and Virginia began to settle in great
numbers in Frederick County, Md., and vicinity; then Fr. John Williams,
an English Jesuit, built a chapel and residence in 1763; he as well as
his successor, Rev. George Hunter, occasionally attended the Elder
settlement, which was then called "Pleasant Level," a name
which still attaches to a portion of the original estate, on which the
residence of Prof. Jourdan stands. Father Frainback succeeded Father
Hunter in 1773, and continued pastor until 1779, after Father Walton had
charge. In the mountain the Catholics of every district also received
attention from Frs. Pellentz and Brocius, who held the Conawago mission
with its dependent stations successively.
In 1793 Rev. John Dubois took charge of
the church in Frederick, and between that time and 1806 the Elder
settlement had no end of attention from him and Fr. Ryan, and not
unlikely from the famous Rev. Demetrius Galitzer, who for a time was
stationed at Taneytown. In 1805 Rev John Dubois left Frederick and
located in the Catholic settlement; the church long known as St. Mary's
of the Mount, and which still stands, though enlarged, was begun in
November, 1805; first service August 15th, 1806, and from that time,
until he was made bishop of New York, gave his undivided attention to
Mt. St. Mary's congregation, the college and the sisters of charity of
which he was the first spiritual director, and for sometime also looked
after the congregation in Emmitsburg. From the establishment of Mt. St.
Mary's until the fall of 1894, the president of that institution was ex-officio pastor of
the mountain congregation, whose members are scattered over a radius of
five miles or more. In that capacity he did most of the parish work.
The parish priests after Father Dubois
were Rev. Michael Egan, 1826 to 1829; Rev. John McGeeny, Rev. John
Purcell, 1832 to 1838, afterward made bishop; Rev. Francis B. Jamison
and Thomas Butler, 1838; Rev. John McCaffery, a native of Emmitsburg,
served the congregation from 1839 until 1871; Rev. John McClosky entered
upon the duties of President, serving from 1871 to 1877; Rev. John A.
Watterson was made President, continuing until 1880, when he was made
bishop; again Rev. John McClosky took up the burden until Christmas,
when he died; Rev. William Hill became the President; after Hill, Rev.
William Byrne, then Rev. William O'Hara.
The first pastor of St. Anthony's
Church was Rev. Manly, next Rev. Reinals, Rev. Lyons, the present Rev.
Tragasar. Amongst the tombs on the mountain side, surrounding the first
church, we find: Rev. John McCaffery, Rev. John McCloskey, Dr. William
Patterson, Henry Diehlman, James D. Hickey, Felix Taney, James Taylor,
Dr. James Shorb, Thomas Barry, John Little, Henry Little, Harry Manning,
Joseph Storm, Arnold Livers, Nace Wagner, Joseph Baugher, George
Eckenrode, John F. Elder, Hiram Taylor, Wm. H. Tiers, Geo. H. Miles,
Prof James Mitchell, Charles Wilson, Thomas O'Toole, John Hobbs, Nathan
Petticord, Jasper Petticord, John K. Taylor, Joseph Brawner, Joseph
Livers, Pius Hemlec, Zachius Brighner, Wm. Miles, John H. Cretin, John
T. Cretin, John Roddy, Hemler Lewis Elder, John Seton, John McDermot,
Francis Welty, John M. Stouter, Perry Petticord, Wm. Taylor, Wm. Brawner,
George Worthen, Nace Orndorf, Joseph Wetzel.
St. Joseph's Roman Catholic
The lot upon which the church is built
was given by James and Joseph Hughs. Prior to 1850 the church lot was
not so extensive as at present, the alley dividing the property of J. M.
Kerrigan and Joshua Norris continued through to Green street. The Hughs
family lived in a house on the east corner, adjoining the public school
lot, about this time the church purchased this lot. A log house, still
earlier, stood on the north corner, occupied by Snouffer. It was torn
down and this parcel added to church property. On the west corner stood
the barn of Dr. J. W. Richelberger, also the stable of the Gibbon
property, cast of Eichelberger barn. After the fire of 1863 these two
lots were added, thus giving the church the entire present possessions.
The church was built in 1793. Many of
the first settlers in this locality were of this faith. Father Brutea,
said in 1823, "Half the town were Catholics; they were principally
of Irish nationality. The early tombstones bear me out in this
assertion. Some few Germans came in later. They built well; the evidence
is before us in a magnificent church building, surpassed by few. "
Rev. Fr. Brutea's letter of 1823 gives many incidents to show the
condition of the church in its beginning, like all organizations, during
the trying times of the colonies, and for a long time after the
settlement. There were hardships to endure, battles to fight, standards
to raise., and sustain, poverty to contend with; he says - there are many
poor families and poor widows at Emmitsburg (no doubt some widows of the
war for independence).
The Sunday collection is made but once
a year, the poor box might contain four or five dollars, but I don't
know why, but there has not been put in it a single cent for nearly
three months. Of the population he says, of widows and their families,
this is a numerous and unhappy class. Widows Gildea, Row, Boyle, and
Minty. Of the forty-three Negroes who made their Easter,. l counted
seventeen free among the Catholics, fifteen free Negroes, Protestants,
leaving twenty-six slaves.
The congregation commenced to furnish,
in union with the sisters, a horse in 1820. On Sunday when the priest is
at Emmitsburg Mr. Grover takes care of him. The priest constantly lodges at the house of James
Hughs, except Mr. Cooper, who remained in town, first at the house of
Mr. Radford, then at Mr. Grover's. As a general thing very little is
given for masses. Out of the poverty this church passed through, not
unlike all the others, it has advanced step by step to its present
prominence. If the eye of Rev. Dubois could survey the field today would
he be satisfied with his sowing? Following are the names of the priests:
1793, Rev. Dubois and Ryan; 1809, Rev.
Duhammel; 1818, Rev. Hickey; 1818, Rev. Cooper; 1823, Rev. Brutea; 1832,
Rev. Hickey; after 1850, Rev. Maller, Rev. Burlando, Rev. Gandolfo, Rev.
Smith, Rev. Rolando, 1853, Rev. Thomas McCaffery; Rev. McCarthy, Rev.
White, Rev. Kavanaugh, Rev. Frank Donoghue; he remodeled the church and
put in the organ; 1906, Rev. Hayden.
The original church was not near so
large as the present one. It was built by Rev. John McCaffery in the
year 1841-02. The steeple only extended to the square until 1867, when
Tyson & Lansinger built the present complete steeple. The clock was
put up in 1904. The remolded new pews, marble railing around the altar,
elegant colored windows and a new organ, and to complete the general
equipment acetylene gas was installed, thus giving every accommodation
as well as luxury to the churchgoers, including a furnace that heats the
church comfortably, a concrete pavement around the outside of church,
connected with the priest's house; also the street pavement around the
premises in igo5; the cemetery is thoroughly cleaned up and the
grave-stones set in regular order, and kept in good condition.
Capt. Richard Jennings, 1759, 1795,
after his death his widow married James Hughes; Thomas Radford, 1775,
1823; Major John Harret, 1779, 1856; Mathew Ryan, 1740, 1817; Luke
Savage, 1742, 1841; Wm. Bradley, 1746, 18l3; Patrick Bradley, 1756,
182i1 Rogers Brooks, 1755, 1825: Joseph Hughs, 1761, 1841; John Gildea,
1772, 1815; Patrick Lowe,1781, 1827; John Welty, 1722, 1817;
James Hugbs, 1762, 1839; Abraham Welty, 1774, 1873; Lucy Hughs, l762,
1838; Jas. Storm, 1788, 1870; Joseph Beachey, 1780, 1854; Patrick Reid,
1759, 1829; Peter Honiker, 1774,1855; John Hughs; Michael C. Adelsberger,
1788, 1882; 'Patrick Kelly, 1814, 1872; Dr. Augustin Taney, 1804, 1853;
James McDivit, 1782, 1858; Anthony McBride, 1810, 1887; Andrew Welty,
1815, 1877; James A. Dwen, 1831, 1877; Frederick Black, 1805, 1893;
Joseph P. McDivit, 1817, 1875; James A. Elder., 1830, 1898; loachim
Elder, 1786, 1863; James F. Adelsberger, 1830, 1879; John Topper, 1772,
1849; Joseph Hobbs, 1827, 1905; Frances Gilmver, 1755, 1816; David
Hoover, 1776, 1854; Mrs. F. Gilmyer, 1758, 1825; Rev. E. LeFever, 1847,
1904; David Agnew, 1777, 1843; Edward M. Miles, 1843, 1904; Mrs. David
Agnew, 1785, 1853; Wm. Black, 1822, 1905; Thomas Eagan, 1779,1846; jas.
Knauff, 1800, 1892; John Jackson, 1806, 1898; Sebastian Flautt, 1773,
1858; Lawrence Dwen, 18o5, 1867; George Grover, 1779, 1850; John Barry,
1800, 1870; John Nickum, 1789, 1843; James McNamaro, 1785, 1881; Bernard
Welty, 1773, 1856; Martin Sweeny, 1824,1882; Michael Rider, 1797, 1880;
Rev. Bernard Sweeny, 1869, 1898; Barbara Arther, 1745, 1845; George
Lawrence, Jeremiah Pittenger; Peter Settlemyer, 1811, 1898; Polly Minty,
1785, 1859; James Kearney, 1737, 1816; Thomas J. Bond, 1832, 1897; Kelly
and Ann Coats.
In the records of Frederick County the
following deed is recorded: March 26, 1831- From Jacob Winter to William
Moreland, Joseph Crabbs, Richard Gilson, Colins Austin, and Robert
Crooks, trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church for the United
States, at Emmitsburg, Maryland, Lots No. 511 and 52 in Shields'
addition, for $120. On this lot in the year 1833 Rev. William Moreland
built a brick church. Tradition says he defrayed the en tire expense. He
was a local preacher, living on and owning the farm now Samuel Gamble's.
During the summer he built the church. In the fall he started in his gig
to fill an appointment at Toms' creek. On Sunday morning he was found
dead in the gig, his horse standing by the fence; he was buried at the
west corner of the church; no marks of his grave can be found.
He held services at his house on Sunday
and Wednesday. Mrs. Moreland lived in the house of Mrs. J. A. Row, and
died there. She was a linen weaver. Nathaniel Row has the yard stick she
used in measuring her work. The congregation worshiped in this church
until 1899. When they, having purchased the lot now Enoch Prizzell's
from Bryon 0. Donnel estates; they exchanged it with Jacob Smith for the
present one, on which the church was built, by Rev. M. H. Courtney,
pastor, a monument of perseverance to the members of the church.
In the cemetery are the graves of William Morel and his wife, Miss
Mary Keen, Joseph Troxell and wife, Frederick Troxell, Jacob S. Gelwicks,
James K. Gelwicks, Joseph S. Waddles, Thomas Bushman, Thomas Fraley and
wife, Asa Webb and wife, Blackford Campbell and mother, Thomas Clabaugh,
Peter Remby and wife.
Toms Creek Methodist Church
In the year 1797 the Lutheran and Reformed congregation worshiping in
the log church known as Tom's Creek Church, built the present Lutheran
Church in town the Methodist bought the log church from these
congregations, not the burying ground. At this time the Rev. William
Moreland, a local preacher and a linen weaver living on the farm now
owned by S. Gamble, holding service in his house, added this place as a
preaching station. He appears to be the first preacher, as be intended
building a church in town. From the records in Frederick he and Joseph
Harvey bought of William Shields April 1st, 1833, Lot No. 53 for $24 to
build a church. This was not accomplished until 1833, when he and others
bought the opposite corner lot. The dedication service was December,
Pages 41 - 50
Helmans' History Of Emmitsburg