Home | Mission & Goals | Meeting Schedule | Search | Contact Us | Submit A Story | Links


The Unit History of the Tom's Creek Hundred's Game Cock Company

John Miller

Toms Creek Hundred produced some of the most respected companies during the Revolutionary War.  Many members such as William Blair were outstanding citizens of Frederick County who (Early records state they lived in Tom's Creek Hundred) and were looked upon when the State of Maryland formed its Constitution.  After the battle of Long Island, William Blair recuperating from his wounds even sat in on the board of committee when the ink was being applied to Maryland’s constitution. Their deeds went far and beyond the call of duty. 

James Helman wrote in his book History of Emmitsburg:

“A meeting convened at the old school house, not far from the mill built by John Troxell in 1778 on Toms' creek, Sunday, August 28th, 1770. The meeting was largely attended by the old inhabitants, who were deeply impressed by the situation. There were present on that occasion William Blair (old Scotch descent), James Shields, Sr., William Shields, Charles Robinson, Patrick Haney, Robert Brown, Henry Hockensmith, Rudolf Need, Thomas Hughs, Thos. Martin, William Elder (son of Guy), Samuel Westfall, Moses Kenedy, Alexander Stewart, William Curren, Jr., Charles Carroll, Octavius S. Taney, Philip Weller, Daniel Morrison, Wm. Koontz, Christian Hoover, John Smith, Daniel McLean, John Parris, John Long, Arthur Row, John Crabbs, George Ovelman, Jacob Valentine, Wm. Munroe, Moses Ambrose, George Kelly, Walter Dulaney, Homer J. Bowie, James Park, Robert Agnew, John Carrick, Frederick Troxell, Dominick Bradley, William Brawner, Henry Brooks and others. It was agreed by a show of hands that Wm. Blair should be called to the chair, and John Farris appointed secretary of the meeting. The meeting was then addressed by Walter Dulaney and W. Elder (of Guy), who concluded by offering the following resolutions:

Resolved by the inhabitants of Toms' creek, Frederick County, in the province of Maryland, loyal to their king and country, That we reaffirm the great Magna Charter of our civic and religious rights, as granted by Charles of England to Lord Baltimore and the inhabitants of this colony, as reaffirmed on the first landing of the pilgrim fathers of Maryland. That there shall be a perfect freedom of conscience, and every person be allowed to enjoy his religious political privileges and immunities unmolested.

The resolution was read and re-read and adopted by a showing of hands. It was further Resolved, that the proceedings of this meeting be published in the Annapolis Gazette and Bradford paper at Philadelphia.”

James Helman unsuccessfully wrote about William Elder and his contribution to American Independence. Who was William Elder and what did he contribute to the war efforts? James Helman also forgot write about the history of the Game Cock Company and it's efforts during the Revolutionary War.  After several years of research and with the help of a contact in Kentucky, we are coming closer in solving the history of the Game Cock Company. 

It is common knowledge for many locals to who say the Game Cock Company was a the Flying Camp Battalion.  They fought in the battles of Long Island and White Plains, New York. Actually, the Game Cock Company fought in the first half of the New York Campaign at Long Island.  However, it is possible for some of Emmitsburg's sons to have fought in the second half at the battle of White Plains in October of 1776. Colonel Smallwood who was attending a courts martial hearing at Long Island during the battle of White Plains might have contributed as to why not much has been written about Maryland's association with the battle. The New York monument for the state of Maryland still bares the inscription "Long Island". 

1770-1775 Prior to Revolution

William Elder was the son of Guy Elder, (a native of Calvert County, Maryland). During the time of the Revolutionary era, he was a resident of the Toms Creek Hundred in Frederick County, Maryland, near the Pennsylvania line.  William Elder was known to be a quiet, thoughtful, and a peaceful man. As early as 1770 he took an active role in the Tom’s Creek and Monocacy Valleys in rousing the people to resist the encroachments of the British royal crown against the rights and privileges of the American colonies and to overthrow their allegiance to King George III.  His eloquent voice was heard calling upon the people to rally to the rescue and arm for the defense of American liberty. He was equaled to what Samuel and John Adams and James Otis were to the people of Massachusetts, and Patrick Henry and Richard Henry (Light Horse) Lee were to Virginia, William Elder was to the people of the northern of Frederick County. The inhabitants of Tom’s Creek Valley heard Mr. Elder’s clarion tones, and they listened with eagerness to his vivid and startling denunciations of the king and the British Parliament. 

In 1775, William Elder played a very important role in the organization of the Game Cock Company of Toms Creek Hundred.  He was also a member of this organization, and at the sound of the bugle “To arms! To arms!” the Game Cock reported to John Hanson, chairman of the Committee of Safety, in Frederick that it was ready for duty and equipped for the conflict. William Elder also helped to equip the Game Cock Company and oversaw the elections of its officers.  The men enrolled themselves into the companies of the Flying Camp and perfected their military tactics under the officers that they designated. 

The Game Cock Company received its name from the jaunty cap that they wore and the waving plume or cockade that distinguished the frontiersmen of Tom’s Creek. Their uniforms were not flashy compared to those in the regular army.  In a correspondence of the Maryland Council of Safety in the latter part of 1776, stated that money would be given out in advance, however, hunting shirts will be a convenient and good uniform if they can be had. 

The Game Cock Company comprised of many men of German decent which rendered a valuable service during the Revolutionary War.  Among the German settlers were the Hockersmiths, the Cregers, and the Williamses to name a few.  Jacob Sheets who built Sheet’s Mill on Piney Creek was a Private in Captain Baltzell’s Company.  His descendants resided in the Tom’s Creek hundred during the time of the War for Independence.  The Game Cock Company participated in most of the important engagements of the Revolutionary War, and assisted at the siege of Yorktown and in the capture of British General Cornwallis.

The Game Cocks elected William Blair as their captain, Henry Williams as first lieutenant, and George Hockensmith as second lieutenant. Captain Blair was of Scotch-Irish descent, and was noted for his gallantry and indomitable pluck. 

“A grandson of old Grandmother Hoover, who died near Emmitsburg many years ago, an aged lady who lived over one hundred years, and personally witnessed some Indian forays on Tom’s Creek and the upper Monocacy. She personally knew nearly all the men in Captain Blair’s company, and was present when they left the Tom’s Creek settlement to report to active duty. She and her neighbors gave them a good shake of the hand, and, like the mother of the Gracohi, bid them return with their swords or muskets or be transfixed on them.”

In (Volume XI-Number One) March 1916 of the Maryland Historical Magazine gives a list of companies that were produced in the middle district of Frederick County in 1775.  This is where Thomas Scharf and James Helman received there information about the four companies raised in and near the Tom’s Creek Settlement. For a complete roster for enlistee’s, bi-monthly muster rolls were issued at company level in order to track the army’s strength. Each muster sheet would contain the names of the officers and enlistees, commonly referring to their dates of enlistment and commenting on their assignments and duties.  Best example is a muster sheet of Phillip Maroney Flying Camp Company.  Below is a transcript of the muster of companies during September 12, 1775 - October 24, 1776.  (Please note that this is incomplete and all companies are not listed.)


November 29, 1775 The Committee met according to Adjournment. Rolls of the following Companies of Militia in this district were returned to the Committee.

Captain Christopher Stull’s Company

Christopher Stull, Capt.; William Hedge, 1st Lieut.; Jacob Trout, 2d Lient.; Conrad Crickbone, Ensn.; :Henry Staly, 1st Sergt.; Joseph Hedges, 2d Sergt.; Jacob Ramsburgh, 3d Sergt.; Philip Christ, 4th Sergt.; Adam Lacy, 1st Corp’.; Jacob Freshor, 2d Corp.; Godliff Kist, 3d Corp.; Peter Dick, 4th Corp.; John Reffner, Drummer; John Tuttro, Fifer, & 66 Privates

Captain Philip Thomas’s Company

Philip Thomas, Capt.; Jacob Miller, 1st Lt.; John Usher Chariton, 2d Lt.; Lewis Bush, Ensn.; John Goff, 1st Sergt.; Jacob Mattard, 2d Sergt.; Jacob Klein, 3d Sergt.; Jon Morris, 4th Sergt.; Anthony Stoke, 1st Corp.; Charles Boly, 2d Corp.; George Rosensteel, 3d Corp.; Christ: Schneider, 4th Corp.; 1 Drummer & Filer and 56 Privates

Captain Peter Mantz’s Company

Peter Mantz, Capt.; Adam Grosh, 1st Lt.; Peter Adams, 2d Lt.; Nicholas White, Ensn.; Christopher Collenberger, John Waggoner, Leonard Lartz, Baltzer Martz, Sergeants; Jacob Snider, Peter Tertesebaugh, Godfrey Hollar, Casper Missell, Corporals; John Row, Drummer; Jacob Yost, Filer, and 68 Privates

Captain William Beatty’s Company

William Beatty, Capt.; Abraham Haff, 1st Lt.; James Beatty, 2 Lt.; John Link, Ensign; Henry Hintz, James Hooper, James Simmons, William Rice, Sergeants; Abraham Castle, Ridoif Eintz, William Witnell, James McDonell, Cor­porals; Robert Haff, Drummer; Frederick Shitenheim, Fifer, and 73 Privates.

Captain Robert Beatty’s Company

Robert Beatty, Capt.; John Welty, 1st Lt.; Peter Oler, 2 Lt.; William Patterson, Ensign; John Martel, Valentine Sharer, Hugh Donnell, John Lemon, Sergeants; Frederick Black, Jeremy Bishop, Ludowick Caslerings, John Bower, Cor­porals;. John Nowell, Drummer, and 51 Privates

Captain William Luckett, Jr. Company

William Luckett, Jr., Capt.; Thomas Frazer, 1st Lt.; Basil Beall, 2d Lt.; John Thrasher, Ensign; Conrad Ricker, Jacob Ridgly, George Stockman, Richard Sargent, Sergeants; Alexander Ireland, John Linch, John Slagal, Conrad Woolford, Corporals, and 69 Privates.

Captain William Blair’s Company

William Blair, Capt.; George Hockersmith, 1st Lt.; Henry Williams, 2d Lt.; Jacob Hockersmith, Ensign; William Currens, Junr., George Kelly, John Smith, Christian Crabs, Sergts; John Crabs, George Matthews, Arthur Row, James Park, Corporals; Daniel McLoan, Drummer, and 54 Privates

Captain William Shield’s Company

William Shields, Capt.; John Phares, lst Lt.; Michael Hockcrsmith 2d Lt.; John Shields, Ensign; Charles Robinson, James Shields, Patrick Haney, Robert Brown; Corporals, Moses Kennedy, John Hank, John Long, Thomas Baird; 52 privates

Captain Jacob Ambrose’s Company

Capt. Jacob Ambrose; 1st Lieutenant, Peter Shover; 2nd Lieutenant, Henry Bitzel; Ensign, John Weller; Sergeants, Martin Bantz, Frederick Schultz, John Gump, Casper Young; Corporals, John Protzman, George Kuhn, Dominick Bradley, Lawrence Creager; Drummer, John Shaw; Fifer, Philip Weller; 50 privates. 

Captain Benjamin Ogle’s Company

Capt. Benjamin Ogle; 1st Lieutenant, Henry Matthews; 2nd Lieutenant, George Nead; Ensign, James Ogle; Sergeants, John Syphus, Lawrence Protzman Peter Leonard; Corporals, Jacob Valentine, Adam Knauff, Daniel Protzman, William Elder of Guy, Fifer, Daniel Linebaugh; Drummer, John Roche; 52 privates.

1776 The Frederick County Militia is Formed

These companies from Toms ‘s Creek Hundred formed battalions that were raised in Frederick County, Maryland and were conspicuous during the war for their devotion and valor.  It is still unclear, but most evidence suggests the Game Cock Company fought next to Colonel William Smallwood at the beginning of the war while other suggests that the Game Cock Company enlisted with Col. John Eager Howard.  However, in recent research states that on December 7th, 1775, the Maryland Convention assembled, and immediately set about the formation of a military force for the protection of the province. After appointing Messrs. Charles Beatty, James Johnson, and John Hanson, Jr., a committee to establish a gun-lock manufactory at Frederick, they resolved on January 1st, 1776, that fourteen hundred and forty-four men should be raised for the defense of the province, that eight companies of the troops, of sixty-eight privates each, should be formed into a battalion, and that the remainder should be divided into companies of one hundred each. William Smallwood was elected colonel of the first battalion, Francis Ware Lieutenant-Colonel, Thomas Price (who commanded the second company of Frederick riflemen) first major, and Mordeesi Gist (of Baltimore) second major.

The province was then divided into districts, and a brigadier-general was assigned to the command in each. Frederick County constituted the Third District, and was placed under the command of Thomas Johnson, Jr., who ranked as the first brigadier-general. The officers of militia for Frederick County were as follows:

As of January 1st, 1776

  • First Battalion Colonel Charles Beatty

  • Second Battalion Colonel James Johnson, Benjamin Ogle First Major

  • Third Battalion Colonel Jacob Good, Lieutenant Colonel William Blair, William Shields Second Major

  • Fourth Battalion Colonel Baker Johnson

  • Lower Battalion Colonel John Murdock

  • Upper Battalion Colonel Zadock Magruder

  • Upper District First Battalion Colonel John Stull

  • Second Battalion Colonel Doctor Samual Beall

Colonel Smallwood was a battalion commander at the beginning of the Revolutionary War and was one of the first Marylanders to be called on active duty and marched to New York.  The Maryland 400 as Smallwood’s battalion became known hurried Northward to New York in July of 1776 to join the American army under the command of General George Washington. The Maryland 400 would gain their heroic reputation by turning the tide of the Revolutionary War at the battle of Long Island.

It was in the hottest of the fight at Brooklyn Heights, Long Island, New York, where the Game Cock Company commander Captain Blair, fell wounded.  2nd Lieutenant Henry Williams took command of the Game Cock Company until he was relieved from that position at Frederick, Maryland after the battle of Long Island.  1st Lieutenant George Hockersmith was promoted to Captain of the Game Cock Company and Henry Williams was promoted to 1st Lieutenant.

Also after the battle of Long Island a meeting was held at the old tavern of Henry Bear, at the sign of John Wilkes, Patrick Street, Frederick Town, and measures were taken to fill up the ranks decimated by De Neuter’s and Knyphausen’s Hessians. 

The State of Maryland also had to give permission before troops were to be sent out.  The Maryland Council of Safety in August of 1776, stated:

“We shall have near four thousand men with you in a short time this exceeds our proportion for the flying Camp, but we are sending all we have that can be armed and equipped, and the people of New York, for whom we have great affection, can have no more than our all. Enclosed you have a list of the several Battalions & Companies.  We depend in case of Invasion on being supported powerfully by our neighbors in Pennsylvania New York & the Jerseys, besides having part of our own Troops sent back.”

The lack of supplies also limited the Marylanders before they left. The Maryland Council of Safety in August of 1776, stated that these companies were not all fully armed and equipped, but had hope to be collect soon.  The Committee was to supply camp kettles, gun slings, wooden bottles and cartage boxes. Requests were also made to have tents made, knapsacks, haversacks, and priming wires.  As all the troops belonging to the Province are directed to march immediately Northward, marching both Day and Night.  The request for furnishing Knapsacks and Haversacks made as they could not march without them.  By December of 1776, more requests came in for much needed sheets of lead and 500 pairs of shoes in which the committee gave.

Saturday, December 28, 1776, Commissions issued to the following persons appointed Officers in General Johnson’s Brigade: (Editors note – the following list of names was promotions granted to these individuals. Example: George Hockersmith was promoted to Captain of the Game Cock Company formerly under William Blair who was promoted earlier to Lieutenant Colonel).

General Johnson's Brigade
  • Upton Sheredine Colonel

  • James Wells Lieutenant Colonel

  • David Moore 1st Major

  • Ephraim Howard 2d Major

  • Charles Warfield Quarter Master

  • Henry Baker, Captain

  • John Norris 1st Lieutenant

  • Abraham Moore 2 Lieutenant

  • John Hinckell Ensign

  • Henry Stephenson Captain

  • Charles Stephenson 1st Lieutenant

  • Henry Myers 2nd Lieutenant

  • Wm Stephenson Ensign

  • Basil Dorsey Captain

  • Joseph Hobbs 1st Lieutenant

  • Nicholas Hobbs 2nd Lieutenant

  • Nathan Manard Ensign

  • Wm Brashears, Captain

  • Charles Crouch Stephens 1st Lieutenant

  • Rezin Brashears 2nd Lieutenant

  • Philip Turner Ensign

  • Carleton Tanyhill Captain

  • Wm Pepples, Captain

  • Simon Meredith Captain

In Col Norman Bruce’s Battalion

  • John Ross Key, Captain

  • George Hockersmith, Captain

  • Henry Williams 1st Lieutenant

  • Jacob Hockersmith 2nd Lieutenant

  • Christian Crabs, Ensign

  • John Shields Captain

  • John Forris 1st Lieutenant

  • Michael Hawkersmith 2nd Lieutenant

  • Charles Robinson Ensign

  • --? -- Little, Captain

  • --? ---Peppel, Captain

  • Thomas Derbin 1st Lieutenant       

  • Peter Wetsel 1st Lieutenant

  • Henry Firthhunt 2nd Lieutenant      

  • Andrew Shingletaker 2nd Lieutenant

  • Conrad Sibell Ensign 

  • Michael Furny Ensign

1777 The War Drags On

In February of 1777, by an act of Congress the Flying Camp Battalions were disbanded.  The Maryland Line and other Flying Camp Battalions were reorganized with five new regiments that were raised in Maryland. Colonel William Smallwood of the Maryland 400 was promoted to General and given command of a brigade and French General Debarre was given command of the other brigade. The 1777 command structure for Frederick County still had the Game Cock Company and William Shield’s Company in the Third Battalion under the command of Colonel Jacob Good with William Blair as Lieutenant Colonel and William Shields as First Major whose battalion still served under the command of General Thomas Johnson Jr. 

Thomas Johnson Jr. was born in 1732.  Later in life he became an American politician and jurist.  On February 10, 1777, a State Assembly was held and three days later Thomas Johnson Jr. was elected as Maryland’s first Governor. He served as Governor from 1777-1779.  Thomas Johnson Jr. also served as an associate to the justice of the U.S. Supreme Court in 1792-1793.  He later died in 1819.

Under this new organization new regiments depended on the veterans who served with the militia or state service, particularly those who served with the Flying Camp, for their manpower. While this expedient created turmoil in some lines because of arguments over relative rank, it allowed each of the 1777 regiments to start with an experienced core.   Maryland's problems were more complex. That state argued that its quota was based on misleading total population figures and made an effort to raise only seven of its assigned eight regiments. The original 1776 regiment and attached separate companies that became the 1st and 2nd Maryland Regiments. The 4th through 7th formed around the four regiments sent to the Flying Camp, and the 3d assembled its officers from a variety of sources.

This is an official transcript from the Council of Correspondence in March of 1777, from Thomas Johnson Jr.  Here General Johnson discusses the issues and some of the problems he faced. 

 “Frederick Town January 4, 1777.


I have had no opportunity since my receipt of your last letter before this by Cob Price nor did I think it worth while to send an express. I wish you would be pleased to send forward one thousand pair of shoes to be lodged at Philadelphia subject to my orders with the prices that there may be no difficulties in settling with the men. I before desired an order for the arms which were lodged at Philadelphia by the Maryland Flying Camp militia, but you gave me no answer as to that point presuming it was your intention they should be put into the hands of the militia I have ordered they should take what good arms they could with them and told them they may expect the deficiency would be supplied out of those arms, I shall be obliged to you for an order to meet me at Philadelphia as well as your instructions to the disposition of them. On my return it is my intention if the people can be kept together to come back slowly in convenient bodies and bring the arms with us.

Disputes about command will be destructive of all authority and order. I wished to know whether I was to command all the Maryland Militia or only those of this Brigade. Your silence on that head compels C. S. C. me to repeat my request that you will send me something decisive on that point. I hear from Cob Beatty as far as New York that Washington Militia turns out well. J. Johnson’s and Bruce’s Battalions do us honor. B. Johnsons not so much, a good many in it are backward, though every thing will be done that industry can effect, from what I hear the Montgomery Militia muster very thin. I this evening received Colonel Sheredine’s and Major’s Howard’s resignations, and believe Major Moor will not act.

Several of commissions for the commissioned officers are wrong. It is really difficult to put things on a footing at such times that will please generally. I have appointed the Battalion to meet next Tuesday, and shall attend it in my way to Philadelphia. By this means only I expect to be able to send you a list of such as will do. I enclosed a letter from Colonel Bruce by bearer to forward the commissions to Philadelphia. I think it my duty to mention to you one Robert Bruce who was in the Clerk’s office of Charles County. He went a rifleman in Price’s company. He now goes out in the Militia. He is very active in spurring up and I believe very spirited. I think he merits and I wish he’d had an Ensign’s Commission.

The companies I believe have recommended his brother, who I understand deserves well. Would it not be well that a few recruiting officers were ordered to attend us. I suspect if they do not, I shall have broils about our Militia enlisting as the quota of our neighbors which I must oppose. Frederick Ridgely goes surgeon to Baker Johnson’s Battalion, if you approve, he is a fine young fellow, and will you by bearer send him a commission Doctor Adam Fisher to C. Beatty.

 I am Gent, your most obedient Servant

Thomas Johnson Jr The Honorable Council of Safety of Maryland”

1778-1781 The Beginning of the End of War

In the beginning part of 1781, the war in the South was being waged as a chess game. In January General Morgan defeated British Lieutenant Colonel Tarleton at Cowpens, South Carolina. However victory for the Continental Army Southern Department was short lived.  On March 15 General Cornwallis defeated General Greene at Guilford Courthouse, North Carolina.  Another such victory for the British Army could be the end of American Independence.  However this was not the case.  The War in the South stalled Cornwallis from entering Virginia and kept him at bay until mid May when he finally entered Petersburg, Virginia.  Also in May, General Washington meets with Lt. General Rochambeau at Wethersfield, Connecticut. 

The summer of 1781 proved to be very hopeful for the Continental Army, when on June 10 General “Mad Anthony” Wayne receives 1,000 reinforcements from Marquis de Lafayette. However, by on June 16, General Cornwallis enters Richmond, Virginia.  On July 6, General Wayne harassed General Cornwallis and skirmishes erupted at Green Spring, Virginia.  The British forces crossed the James River on July 8 and General Cornwallis receives orders from Lieutenant General Henry Clinton to send 3,000 men to Philadelphia and by July 12, General Cornwallis is ordered to send 3,000 men to New York.

August 14 General George Washington learns that the French fleet is on its way to the Chesapeake area off Virginia. And within the next couple of days, General Washington begins to cross the Hudson River at Stony Point.  By August 22, after receiving orders Cornwallis completes his fortifications at Yorktown and Gloucester.  On August 26, French Admiral de Grasse arrived off the Virginia Capes, while French Admiral de Barras leaves Newport, Rhode Island.

By September 1, General George Washington reaches Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. General Washington march southward via the Chesapeake with General Rochambeau and General Lafayette reaching Yorktown by September 28th setting the stage of the Yorktown Campaign.  General Washington inspects the British positions on September 29th.

General Washington begins siege operations against the British at Yorktown on October 6th and by October 9th, the bombardment of Yorktown begins.  Finally the Continental Army surrounded the British army, forcing its surrender on October 20, 1781. The Battle of Yorktown was the “High tide” of the Revolutionary War.  General Henry Clinton finally arrives with his British reinforcements off the coast of Virginia on October 27, but it’s too late. 

In recognition to General Lafayette support of the American cause, he was asked by General Washington to lead the American Column.  Captain Henry Williams and the Game Cock Company were to report to General Lafayette.  During the main battle of Yorktown, there were two columns of infantry; column one was part of French Army and the other part of was of Washington’s Army.  They were drawn out to assault two bastions, and both were to move at the same moment. Both columns started simultaneously, each one watching the other. There was much excitement as to who should make the capture first. On the march William Curran, Jr., of the Game Cock Company, stepped up to the general, apparently unaware of General Lafayette ancestry, and, tapping him on the shoulder, said, "Hurry, general; those dammed Frenchmen will get in before us yet.  During the battle, Captain Henry Williams, and the Game Cock Company covered themselves with glory and received the special commendation of General Washington and General Lafayette. 

General Washington complimented the troops from Tom's Creek Hundred at Tera Ruba near Tom’s Creek, saying that they will always hold a part of his heart for their courageous stand against the British during what was truly an inestimable moment in our American history. 

Militia Units

  • Maryland: 1st Regiment Flying Camp, 1776

  • Maryland: 34th Battalion of Militia, 1776

  • Maryland: Flying Camp Regiment (Ewing's), 1776

  • Maryland: Flying Camp Regiment (Griffith's), 1776

  • Maryland: Flying Camp Regiment (Richardson's), 1776

  • Maryland: Washington County Militia Company, 1777

  • Maryland: 37th Battalion of Militia, 1777

  • Maryland: Gale's Independent Company of Artillery, 1779-80

  • Maryland: Extraordinary Regiment, 1780

  • Maryland: Smith's Artillery, 2d and 3d Companies, 1783

  • Maryland: Lansdale's Detachment, 1783

  • Maryland: Marbury's Detachment, 1784

Maryland Regular Service Units

  • Maryland: 1st Regiment, 1776

  • Maryland: 1st Regiment, 1778-80

  • Maryland: 1st Regiment, 1783

  • Maryland: 2d Regiment, 1777-80

  • Maryland: 2d Regiment, 1781

  • Maryland: 3d Regiment, 1778-81

  • Maryland: 3d Regiment, 1778

  • Maryland: 4th Regiment, 1776-78

  • Maryland: 4th Regiment, 1777-81

  • Maryland: 5th Regiment, 1778-79

  • Maryland: 5th Regiment, 1781

  • Maryland: 6th Regiment, 1777-79

  • Maryland: 7th Regiment, 1777-78

After the War for Independence, many men of the Tom's Creek Hundred returned to normal life.  Captain Henry Williams and General John Ross Key became close friends and telling tales of the days for Independence. In 1785, William Emmit bought the first lots from his father Samuel and the creation of a town began. Fredrick Beard (Records state he was from Tom's Creek Hundred) who was a war veteran (Enlisted in Phillip Maroney’s Company) was one of the first to settle in the newly founded town of Emmitsburg. 

Michael Hockersmith, left Emmitsburg after the war in 1790's moving to Kentucky. In 1794, Michael Hockersmith volunteered in Huston's Battalion of Kentucky Mounted Volunteers.  He served as a private from July 14 to October 22, 1794 under Captain William Kavanaugh of General Charles Scott.  During the 1790’s, the British and Indians still raided many areas west of the mountains as the British Army illegally held military posts in American territory. In December of 1799, with his father as a witness, he married Nancy Holman. 

Read other articles by John Miller