home of John and Kathy Marshall, 706 West Main Street,
was one of the oldest school building in Frederick
John and Kathy Marshall purchased a dream project
when they bought the old house at 706 W. Main Street.
Their house was originally built in 1879 as the third
public school in Frederick County. Students entered
through double doors into a foyer. There were two
winding staircases, one to the left and one to the
right. High school age boys went up one set of stairs.
The other was used by the girls. However the upper level
was one big room. Children in the lower grades were
taught in one big room on the ‘first floor. A cupola
adorned the roof, but this was removed about 1900. The
building was used as a school for just 12 years. Then it
became a Masonic lodge for another ten years.
Around 1900 the house was purchased by the Kugler
family and remained in their family until 1989 when the
Marshall's purchased it as a young married couple. It was
purchased from the estate of Goldie Kugler. Nothing had
been modernized in the last three or four decades. The
room which had been the kitchen had nothing in it except
a garage sink. Insurance couldn’t be obtained until
the place was rewired. But the Marshalls knew they had
found a project which would take years and yet be the
home they wanted. They knew they could do much of the
As they worked on the renovations they found dozens
and dozens of old marbles in out of the way places and
discovered a really old baseball bat in an inaccessible
crawl space. School blackboards had been covered with
wallpaper. They chose to restore one of them in a guest
room and now invite guests to add their signatures in
chalk. Graffiti was found in the attic with a child’s
signature and the date 1888 marked the wall.
The house is now a home to Kathy, John, and their
young son The first floor consists of the origin foyer,
one remaining winding staircase, living room, dining
room music room, kitchen, back staircase, and a half
bath. The second floor contains three bedrooms, a
laundry room, and two baths. They chose to expose the
bricks on one wall in the living room. This wall is
three bricks thick which is equal to a 12" thick
wall. Ceilings are 13’ high on the first floor.
"Eye Of The Storm"
A three-bay Federal style building named "Eye Of
The Storm," home of Larry & Carol Pavek at 101
East Main Street, Emmitsburg, is a home on the 250th
Anniversary House Tour. The Pavek's, living there only
since September 1996, have decorated in an eclectic
style, ranging from the formality of fabric covered
walls and Chippendale and Queen Anne style furniture to
The house dates from circa 1840 and from all
appearances may have been a tavern. "Modern"
hardwood flooring on the first floor was most likely
installed at the turn of the century. The original wide
pine flooring is still visible on the second floor. The
attic has been converted to a master suite and the
flooring has been recycled as kitchen cabinets and east
wall facing. Late 19th century hand painted woodwork is
displayed up the staircase and on the second floor.
There is a significant amount of original glass in the
windows throughout the house. Antique hardware is on
most of the doors and windows. The bare bricked
fireplaces, which add an interesting charm to the living
room area and kitchen, were originally plastered. The
fireplace in the living room was an added feature
approximately 125 years ago.
You enter into a large living and dining area and on
the east wall, you can still see in the plaster the
shadow of the doorway leading to the adjacent property
which may have been used as an inn. You proceed up two
steps through glass doors to the kitchen. The house has
two baths and four bedrooms, one of which, is decidedly
After touring the entire house, including balcony and
3rd floor master suite, exit through the dutch doored
kitchen into the garden and enjoy!
Many longtime residents of Emmitsburg think of 300 W.
Main Street as Doc Cadle’s place. For many years this
was the residence and office of the town’s physician.
The front door opened into a vestibule. A waiting room,
examining rooms, and an office were through a door on
the left. After Doctor Cadle moved out to Harney Road he
rented the living quarters to tenants and the offices to
Bill and Chata Carr lived a little farther out of
town in a very large, beautiful home next to his
veterinary hospital. It was in that home that they
raised their family and took of elderly relatives. They
had discussed the idea of moving into Emmitsburg to
something smaller when there would be just the two of
them. When Doctor Cadle’s place came on the market,
the Carr’s found a home that would meet their needs
and decided to make their ‘last" move. They hired
Keith Brown of Taneytown to be their contractor.
The Cadles had remodeled the house in the late 20’s.
The stairway was reversed in direction and a sleeping
porch was added upstairs along the back of the house.
The next door neighbor complained that her view was cut
off. As they shared a common wall, Doctor Cadle offered
to let her build an extension of her house over into his
sleeping porch so that she could add a window for a
view. (Her daughter told the Carr's that this addition
was no longer needed and so they reclaimed it for a
As the Carr's worked with renovations they had a plan
derived from caring for their elderly relatives. The
house would be a comfortable two-story home for them
until they no longer cared to climb stairs. At that time
the floor plan would make an ideal one story conversion
with the dining room becoming a bedroom. The vestibule
was removed and what was the doctor’s office is now a
formal dining room, a hallway lined with closets, and a
wonderful bathroom with an oversized shower with
The kitchen was enlarged to a pleasant eat in area
with a view out onto the deck which has a beam and glass
roof complete with a ceiling fan. Beyond that, a step
down, is their beautiful garden designed by Bill Gilbert
of Fairfield, Pa. A brick walkway leads through
perennial gardens. There is no grass for Bill to mow.
Upstairs the master bedroom was originally two rooms.
A large skylight was added to the upstairs bathroom. In
addition there are two more bedrooms and a den. One
bedroom and den were the original sleeping porch.
The home of Joan and John Treadway in nearby Rocky
Ridge is another stop on the October 4,1998 House Tour
of homes in the Emmitsburg area. This House Tour will
celebrate the 250th Anniversary of Frederick County.
Joan and John Treadway bought their lovely large
brick home and 67 acres of land in 1993 while searching
for a farmhouse built of stone. The actual date of the
house is hard to determine. Documents show that the land
was bought in 1798 by James Cooper and was part of the
army known as "Brooks Reserve." In l799 he
deeded the land to his son and the house was probably
built soon after this. The only addition to the house
has been a porch which is now glassed in.
Photographs show the original front door on the side
of the house. This door now opens out onto the porch
which runs the full width of the house. A former owner,
Mrs. Laurin B. Askew, Jr., planned to open a school
devoted to art and music. For this purpose she built an
addition on the lower level to become a dormitory.
The flat roof of this addition became a porch floor
outside the front door. At a later time this porch was
enclosed and a front door was established on the side of
the house facing the road. Early photographs also how a
breezeway in the house large enough to drive a car
through. This has all been enclosed. The second floor
room over the breezeway may have been used as slave
Newspaper records tell us that Virs. Askew and her
son used the house as a summer residence while living in
Washington, DC. They held several lavish parties for
well known dignitaries at the time. Older records
indicate that former owners were visited by people who
wished to see Mt. St. Mary’s College in the mid 1800’s.
Another owner advertised for the return of a runaway
slave. The original floor plan of this two story house
contained a center hall with a formal parlor and dining
room to the right and left.
These rooms have high ceilings and large windows.
What is now the kitchen may have been a downstairs
bedroom and what is now the hall and bathroom might have
been the kitchen as a large fireplace has been
discovered behind the wall. There are two stairways
leading up to the bedroom level which has four bedrooms
and a large family room. This family room is where Mrs.
Askew gave art and dance lessons. There is a second
story deck off this room where the gardens and farm land
can be enjoyed. One of the bedrooms has been turned into
John Treadway’s office. The second floor bathroom was
once a porch.
The Treadway's have filled the home with their
collection of antiques and oriental rugs. Joan recently
opened "Wyndcrest Antiques" in a building near
the ample driveway. She specializes in 18th and 19th
century American furniture as well as china, silver,
crystal, pictures, mirrors and decorative items . Hours
are Saturday and Sunday afternoons as well as by
Have your own memories of
Emmitsburg Houses of old?
If so, send them to us at
to Previous Page >