Home | Mission & Goals | Meeting Schedule | Search | Contact Us | Submit A Story | Links

The History of the Stonehurst Inn

Alica Miller

Situated in the charming town of Emmitsburg, Maryland is the historical residence known as Stonehurst. This house has been in Emmitsburg’s history for over two centuries, providing a home for what has been some of Emmitsburg’s most prominent residents. The story of this house and the land that surrounds it is an interesting tale, as it would one day prove to be the setting for two towns.

On September 8th 1732, Daniel Carroll of Duddington Manor in Prince George’s County and Charles Carroll of Annapolis, Maryland obtained from the Lord proprietor of the Province of Maryland ten thousand acres of land lying in what is now Frederick County, however at this time it was still Prince George’s County. The tract of land that Daniel Carroll owned became known as Carrollsburg and the land owned by Charles Carroll became known as Carroll’s Delight, with each tract containing five thousand acres.

Upon Daniel Carroll’s death, his last will and testament, executed on April 12th 1734 gave his share of the land to his sisters Mary and Eleanor Carroll and authorized and empowered Charles Carroll to sell Carrollsburg for their benefit. On May 6th 1757, Charles Carroll sold and conveyed the land to Samuel Emmitt and William Cochran the tract called Carrollsburg. Samuel Emmitt obtained the southeastern part containing twenty two hundred acres and William Cochran, the northern part containing twenty seven hundred acres. The price for the entire five thousand acres was twenty pounds sterling, with Samuel Emmitt and William Cochran each paying ten pounds sterling for his land.

On April 21st 1773 Samuel Emmitt sold and conveyed to Charles Robinson one hundred and twenty acres of his share of Carrollsburg for ninety six pounds. The land Mr. Robinson obtained is described as follows: beginning at the end of the 18th line of Carrollsburg and running with the 19th line south 122 perches; south 89 degrees west about 132 perches; north 7 degrees east 114 perches; north 49 degrees east 125 perches; south 55 degrees east to the 18th line of Carrollsburg and then to a direct line to the beginning. Stonehurst became a part of this tract of land.

Stonehurst was built by Charles Robinson. This mansion was a frame weather-boarded house and was one of the largest residences in the area. During Philip Nunemaker’s ownership of Stonehurst he brick cased and remodeled it. This house is south east of the house now on the property. The road from Baltimore to Pittsburgh divided the property. On June 24th 1816 Charles Robinson executed a mortgage upon this and other lands that he owned to John Harbaugh and upon the complaint of Mr. Harbaugh the circuit court for Frederick County sitting as a court of equity on October 22nd 1821 passed a decree of foreclosure and appointed G. M. Eichelberger trustee to make the sale of the land.

At the sale John Harbaugh became the purchaser of all the land covered by the mortgage amounting to approximately one hundred and seventy six acres and nine perches. On March 17th 1830 John Harbaugh sold the entire tract of land to Samuel Baumgardner, Lawrence Diven, Samuel Duphorne, John Duphorne, George Weaver and Lewis Weaver who as co-partners started a sheep ranch which proved a failure and dissolution of the partnership and ultimately, division of the land. Samuel and John Duphorne purchased the tract now called "Stonehurst" containing fifty acres and eight perches of land and on March 17th 1837 Samuel Baumgardner, Lawrence Diven, Lewis Weaver and George Weaver conveyed it to them.

Adam Custard, Sheriff of Frederick County, sold the tract that Stonehurst was on along with other tracts of land that Samuel and John Duphorne owned to the Branch Bank, otherwise known as The Farmers Bank of Maryland who were large creditors of the Samuel and John Duphorne. The Branch Bank became the purchaser of their property and on June 11th 1863 they sold and conveyed forty eight acres to John K. Taylor.

During the time that Samuel and John Duphorne owned Stonehurst a new road (Tract Road today) was laid out through the property, cutting off of it two acres and eight perches. When Mr. Taylor purchased the forty eight acres it was east of this new road. On June 12th 1863 John K. Taylor sold and conveyed the property to Henry Hoffman and on the May 1st 1868 Mr. Hoffman conveyed it to Joseph Hays. To this date there were no buildings on this tract of land and during the year 1869 Mr. Hays built a barn on the property

On September 1st 1865 Mr. Hays purchased from Edward Taney a tract of land on the south side of the great road containing 13 acres 3 roads and 5 1/4 perches. This and the forty eight acres that Stonehurst was situated upon made up his farm. Mr. Hays lived in Emmitsburg in the house now owned and occupied by Mr. M.F. Shuff going back and forth from town to his farm many times each day until 1875 when he sold his house in town and built the substantial brick house that was on it when purchased by Mr. Murray which he occupied full-owning the occupation of a farmer until his death which occurred in December 1888.

By his last will and testament executed on the 27th day of October 1876 he devised unto his wife Elizabeth Hays all of his real and personal property for the benefit of herself and her children. On the 29th day of April 1896 Mrs. Elizabeth Hays conveyed unto her son Joseph K. Hays the said farm. On the 7th day of February 1896 Joseph K. Hays purchased from Ann Louisa Bushman a tract of land adjoining the tract his father had purchased from Edward G. Taney containing 19 acres and 67 perches of land. On December 16th 1905 Mr. Murray purchased from Mr. Joseph K. Hays this entire tract or farm of 81 acres and 32 perches.

On September 17, 1864 Mary H. Duphorne purchased from the Central National Bank of Frederick Maryland a tract of land containing 12 acres and 24 perches, it being part of the land purchased by the Branch Bank for Adam Custard, Sheriff at the sale, adjoining the 48 acres purchased by John K. Taylor. Mary H. Duphorne conveyed the property to her sister Mrs. Ella M. Addlesberger who then sold and conveyed it to Eugene E. Zimmerman. Mr. Zimmerman sold and conveyed it to the first National Episcopal Bishop, Right Reverend John G. Murray. This tract contained within its boundary the 2 acres and 8 perches that originally belonged to the tract now called "Stonehurst".

During the summer of 1910 the County Commissioner of Frederick County relocated the road known as Tract Road placing it exactly where it was in 1813 and thereby restoring the 2 acres and 8 perches again to "Stonehurst" making it contain the original 50 acres and 8 perches. After Mr. Murray bought this property he remodeled the house and greatly improved it, making it one of the finest homes in Western Maryland.

The Stonehurst mansion today stands as a reminder of a time gone by. The land has passed through many generations and has seen many changes within the last several decades. Today the house is used as a bed and breakfast. It is beautifully situated on top of a hill that over looks the mountain from the front porch and also overlooks the town of Emmitsburg. The grounds of this historical bed and breakfast, shows a unique landscape with a pond that has bridge and a small dock where the scenery is breath-taking. The Stonehurst mansion provides today’s residents of Emmitsburg with a look into Emmitsburg’s rich history and a story behind what is now a time forgotten.

Have your own memories of the Stonehurst Inn.
 If so, send them to us at history@emmitsburg.net

Back to Previous Page >