Home | Mission & Goals | Meeting Schedule | Search | Contact Us | Submit A Story | Links

Mr. Charles Topper

Mr. Charles Rodgers "Top" Topper, 88, of St. Catherine’s Nursing Home, Emmitsburg, formerly of Mount Airy, died Sunday, Aug. 27, at Frederick Memorial Hospital. He was the husband of Evelyn Louise Stone Topper, who died in 1984.

Born March 9, 1912, in Emmitsburg, he was the son of the late Robert Lawrence and Ethel Gertrude Rodgers Topper. Mr. Topper grew up in Emmitsburg where he served as an alter boy at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church.

After high school he worked at the A&P grocery store in Emmitsburg. In 1935 he was sent to manage the A&P store in Mount Airy and took it over in the early 1950s. When A&P closed the store, he opened the Community Pure Food Store in its place. Known as "Top’s Market," he owned and operated the grocery store until his retirement in 1975.  

He was a member of St. John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church, Frederick. He was a member of Mount Airy Lions Club, where he served in numerous offices, including president. He was an avid coin collector and was a member of the Mount Airy Coin Club and the Libertytown Coin Club.

He is survived by a daughter, Patricia T. Norwood and husband Wayne of Mount Airy; two granddaughters, Cynthia Swanson and husband Kevin of Columbia, and Angela Moore and husband Robert of Mount Airy; four great-grandchildren, Chloe Swanson and Katherine Swanson, both of Columbia, and Elizabeth Ann Moore and Daniel Moore, both of Mount Airy; a brother, William L. Topper and wife Carmen of Emmitsburg; a sister, Kathleen Shorb of Emmitsburg; and numerous nieces and nephews.

A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated on Aug. 30 at St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church, Frederick, with the Rev. Daniel Nusbaum of Mount St. Mary’s Seminary as celebrant. Interment was in Mount Olivet Cemetery, Frederick.

If you knew this individual, and would like to see them remembered in the next History of emmitsburg, Please send us any stories or anecdotes about them to us at: history@emmitsburg.net

Back to Previous Page >