Non-Profit Internet Source for News, Events, History, & Culture of Northern Frederick & Carroll County Md./Southern Adams County Pa.


From the Desk of Carroll Valley Mayor Ron

(2/2014) As of this writing, we have experienced three snow storms and very low temperatures. There are a couple of things to keep in mind. We need to help out our borough maintenance crew who are trying to clear the trails. This can be accomplished by you not parking your vehicles on the trails. It slows the snow removal process and in some cases can be dangerous to the plow operators trying to getting around partially parked cars. Remember, during a snow emergency, which includes most snow events, it is illegal to park on the road or in the right of way just off the road and can result in your car being ticketed and towed. Please help us by doing your part and keep our roads clear. Also when we are experiencing very low temperatures, please do not leave your pets outside. Be alert for signs of frostbite and injury. Dogs’ ears, paws and tails are especially susceptible and if you suspect frostbite, contact your veterinarian.

The topic of emergency brings up the question "Are you prepared?" What happens if there is an ice storm or flood? You can learn about these threats and how to prepare for them by going to Recommend you download the Pennsylvania Emergency Preparedness Guide. If an emergency/disaster occurs, you must be prepared to survive on your own for a minimum of three days. Do you need special care? If so, have you registered with the Adams County Department of Emergency Services?

The Adams County Department of Emergency Services has a compiled list of all the Disabled Persons located in Adams County who need special assistance when an emergency arises. When you register, the information is also added to the E-911 Telephone System, so when County receives your call for help, the system will automatically identify your disability and the type of assistance needed. If you are not registered, call 717-334-8603 and ask to be added to the list. The information provided (over the phone or by filling out the Special Care form) is protected under the Privacy Act regulation.

Can you survive for three days on your own? Do you have an Emergency Kit? The recommended supplies to include in that Emergency Kit are: Water (one gallon per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation); Battery-powered radio and extra batteries; Flashlight and extra batteries; Medical (prescription medications, First Aid kit); Food (non-perishable food); Tools (manual can opener, wrench and pliers to turn-off utilities); Garbage bags with ties (for personal sanitation); Whistle (to signal for help); and Plastic sheeting and duct tape (if you need to shelter in place) and cash.

If there is a power outage and you have a cell phone, do you know your electric company’s emergency number to let them know the power is out or to follow the progress the company is having in restoring power? If you are going to use a portable generator, do you know how to use it safely? The biggest worry is carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning generated from the toxic engine exhaust. You should never use a portable generator in a garage, carport, basement, crawl space even with ventilation. Opening doors and windows or using fans will not prevent CO buildup in the home. Install home CO alarms that are battery-operated or have battery back-up. The Red Cross has information on how to use a portable generator when an emergency or disaster strikes. The website address is /prepare /disaster /power-outage/safe-generator-use .

The Carroll Valley Citizens’ Association (CVCA) Phone Directory has been published and was distributed at the CVCA Holiday Gala event (go to If you are a CVCA member, drop by Mountain View Realty to get your copy and if you are interested in purchasing additional copies, they are 1 for $5 and 3 for $10. You can also visit the Mayor’s office to pick or purchase a copy. If you would like to become a member, visit

I would like to recognize Marie Schwartz, Kathy McCabe and Jale Dalton for their work on publishing this "must have" local area phone directory. I know how much time and energy this demanded and I deeply appreciate all of your efforts to make it a great success. The CVCA has brought back their "Welcome Packets". There are two versions, one for families with children and the other geared more toward seniors. It contains a bunch of information you should have on hand as a new resident in Carroll Valley. CVCA is asking that new residents who have moved to Carroll Valley within the last 3 months should email Kathy McCabe at for your packet. Also, if you’re a business and would like to have your flyer included in the welcome packet, contact Kathy.

For those residents following the proposed amended zoning ordinance, the Borough Council President at the December Council meeting said that due to the comments received from the Adams County Planning Office and the comments made at the council meeting, the proposed amended zoning ordinance will be sent back to the Planning Commission for further review. By consensus, all council members agreed. The amended zoning ordinance was to be discussed at the Planning Commission on January 7th; however, due to the extreme weather (low temperatures) the meeting was canceled. Therefore, the Amended Zoning Ordinance did not appear on the January 2014 Borough Council agenda for discussion. The topic should appear on the February 3rd Planning Commission agenda along with the question, "Should the Borough allow families to have chickens?"

Carroll Valley Borough meetings in February are: Planning Commission (Feb 3rd), Borough Council (Feb 11th), and Parks/Recreation Committee (Feb 26th). The Borough Office will be closed on Presidents’ Day (Feb 17th). If you have any questions call me at 301-606-2021 or email at

Read other articles about Fairfield