(9/22) The men and women of the community's fire, rescue and emergency medical services proudly announce their Annual Fire and Life Safety Open House on Thursday evening, October 12th, from 6:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Fire Station located at 25 West Main Street. This will be the 62nd year that Vigilant Hose Company (VHC) personnel have sponsored this always popular
Fire and injury prevention in Emmitsburg is a year-round effort done in concert with area residents, businesses, schools, institutions and agencies but during ‘Fire Prevention Month’ department personnel seek to especially underscore the importance of prevention and preparedness. A large crowd is expected at the fire station on the 12th. Guests are encouraged to bring
As part of VHC’s continuing efforts to educate everyone in our community about essential elements of smoke alarm safety, this year’s Fire Prevention Open House will include:
1) Amazing feats of magic by talented area Magician Michael Cantori of Cantori’s Theater of Magic. His activities will occur throughout the evening plus include a special show, too.
2) Information and demonstrations will be available to help families and individuals prevent unwanted fire. Fire and life safety preparedness information, too, will be available to help attendees prepare, in advance, for unwanted fire or other emergency be it at home, at work and/or at play.
3) Emergency Medical Services providers will be on hand to showcase their life-saving skills and as well to conduct Blood Pressure Checks on request.
4) Personnel from the American Red Cross of Western Maryland will be showcasing smoke detectors and offer information on disaster preparedness plus also provide keen insights on assistance provided following major emergencies.
5) Representatives will be present from the Frederick County 911 Emergency Communications Center to assist residents better understand how ‘911’ works and why the information they need from callers is so vitally important.
6) Information will be available regarding opportunities for residents and business alike to help their First Responders – even including how the public and the private sector institutions can support the ‘VHC family’ help other families.
7) Details will be offered regarding the countywide "Gear-Up" Campaign – a volunteer recruitment initiative – on how one can serve in emergency response or non-operational roles to help the community.
8) Our Frederick County Resident Deputy Sheriffs will be on hand offering crime prevention materials and a range of important safety insights.
9) Members of the Frederick County Fire/Rescue Museum and the National Fire Heritage Center (both based in Emmitsburg) will have displays and informational handouts regarding their work in preserving the rich history of fire and emergency services organizations big and small.
10) Fire Truck Rides will be available. IMPORTANT NOTE – children admitted to ride must meet the mandates of state law regarding age and size (no child car safety seats are available in fire apparatus).
11) Free refreshments courtesy of the Vigilant Hose Company Auxiliary available for all attendees.
12) Door Prizes will be available for persons of all ages – winners must be present to win!
Read other articles about Emmitsburg