(10/1) The men and women of this community's fire and rescue department proudly announce their Annual Fire and Life Safety Open House on Thursday, October 8th, from 6:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Fire Station located at 25 West Main Street. This will be the 60th year that Vigilant Hose
Company personnel have sponsored this popular event.
Fire and injury prevention in Emmitsburg is a year-round effort but during Fire Prevention Month our personnel work even harder to underscore the importance of prevention and preparedness. A large crowd is expected. Guests are encouraged to bring their cameras!
This year’s Fire Prevention Open House will include:
- Featured will be a special interactive Fire Prevention ‘Pit Box’ (NASCAR-like) from the Office of the State Fire Marshal and the Maryland State Fire Association (see attached).
- Information and demonstrations will be available to help families and individuals prevent unwanted fire as well as to be preparedness information, too, should fire or other emergency / disaster strike.
- Information on Residential Fire Sprinkler Systems and how they work [installation of automatic home fire sprinklers in new residential construction is now mandatory].
- Fire Prevention / Life Safety demonstrations plus free literature on family preparedness. This includes at while home, at work and at play (i.e., fire safety outdoors).
- Emergency Medical Services providers will be on hand as well to showcase their life-saving skills.
- Courtesy of the Catoctin Mountain National Park, "Smokey the Bear" will be present.
- Information will be available regarding opportunities for residents and business alike to help their First Responders – even including how individuals and the private sector institutions can be directly involved in supporting ‘our VHC family help other families.’
- Details regarding the countywide "Gear-Up" campaign – a volunteer recruitment campaign which includes opportunities to serve in emergency response roles or in non-operational support roles to local assist emergency services better help their communities.
- The always popular Fire Truck Rides are back this year! IMPORTANT NOTE - children admitted to ride must meet the mandates of state law regarding age and size (no child car seats available in fire apparatus).
- Our Frederick County resident Deputy Sheriffs will be on hand offering crime prevention materials and insights.
- Free refreshments provided by the Vigilant Hose Company Auxiliary for all attendees.
- Door Prizes for persons of all ages. *** Must be present to win! ***
For more information about the VHC visit www.vigilanthose.org
Read other news stories related to the Emmitsburg